Checklist: setting up as self-employed

self-employed self-employed
  • Register straight away for Self Assessment with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) so they can set up your tax and National Insurance records

  • Obtain any permits and planning permission that you may need from your local authority

  • Contact Land and Property Services to find out whether you need to pay business rates

  • Contact HMRC to register for VAT if you expect to have turnover of more than £85,000 a year

  • Register with HMRC for PAYE (Pay As You Earn) if you employ staff

  • Register with HMRC if you are a contractor or subcontractor in the construction industry

  • Set up a financial record-keeping system

  • Put your name on all your business stationery, including letters, invoices, receipts and cheques

copy saved

copies saved