What to do when someone has passed.

  • First thing, obtain a legal document that pronounces the death. If no doctor is available, you will need to contact someone else to accomplish this.

  • Schedule the transportation services. If there is no autopsy required, the body should be gathered by the mortuary or crematorium.

  • Advise the person\'s doctor or county coroner what has taken place.

  • Advise all close family and friends.

  • Check-in with anyone who is dependent on the person and also any pets.

  • Call the employer of the deceased person (if he or she was under employment). Ask for remaining pay due, and if there are company benefits associated with the event (i.e. Life Insurance).

  • Schedule the funeral & burial / cremation.The funeral home can assist with this. Locate and review any pre-made documents that stipulate prepaid burial plans.

  • Request a friend/family member to visit the mortuary with you. Then, prepare the obituary

  • Don\'t forget to also notify any fraternal or religious groups that the person might have been associated with. They may also provide burial benefits or wish conduct funeral services.

  • Ask a close one or family member to monitor the person\'s home, answer phone calls, collect mail, and do away with remaining food items.

  • After roughly 10 days, obtain a death certificate (usually this comes from the funeral home). Don\'t forget to get many copies. You\'ll require these for financial inst.\'s, gov. agencies, and insurers.

  • Then take the will to the appropriate county or city office for acceptance of probate.

  • At this juncture, the estate\'s executor can now open a bank account for the person\'s estate.

  • Contact trust estate attorney for advisory as to how the conversion of assist should take place, and assistance with any present probate issues.

  • Contact local police department to monitor the deceased home (if now vacant).

  • Contact account or whomever might prepare the deceased\'s taxes for advisory on whether an estate-tax return or financial income-tax needs to be filed.

  • Contact the deceased\'s investment advisory (if applicable) for any notes on holdings.

  • Contact a life insurance agent to obtain claim forms.

  • Contact Social Security (800-772-12-13 or socialsecurity.gov) & additional agencies that could offer benefits on behalf of the deceased (i.e. Veterans Affairs).

  • Contact the agency providing pension services to close any routine checks, and ask for claim forms.

  • Contact the person\'s utility companies to stop services, and postal services to forward all mail.

  • Lastly, review and relay the person\'s final wishes.

This checklist was created by sadie

copy saved

copies saved