How H-1B Visa Holders Can Move to Canada

How H-1B Visa Holders Can Move to Canada
  • Having an H-1B visa does not give you special rights to move to Canada, but it does demonstrate your ability to successfully work and assimilate in North America. 

  • There are 3 main tracks for H-1B visa holders to move to Canada

  • Express Entry

  • Canada\'s Express Entry system provides highly skilled H-1B visa holders an opportunity to immigrate to Canada. 

  • Canada\'s Government has taken steps to fast-track Express Entry applications in 2 weeks to 6 months. 

  • Express Entry is a point based system that evaluates applicants based on criteria including language ability - English and French, level of education and skilled work experience. 

  • 3 options for Express Entry: 

  • 1. Express Entry - Permanent Residence - Federal Skilled Worker Applications

  • 2. Express Entry- Permanent Residence - Federal Skilled Trades Program Applications

  • 3. Express Entry - Permanent Residence- Canadian Experience Class Applications   

  • Intra-Company Transfer

  • Canada is the United State\'s largest trading partner and is home to many subsidiaries, parent companies, branches, and affiliates of companies that operate in the US. 

  • Often these businesses can bring foreign workers to Canada as an intra-company transferee without first having to offer the job to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

  • To be eligible for an Intra-Company Transfer to Canada: 

  • 1. You must be coming to Canada to perform comparable work for the Canadian affiliate, in an executive, senior managerial, or specialized knowledge role  

  • 2. You must have at least one year of full-time work experience with the foreign enterprise  

  • 3. You must have a specialized knowledge position or a senior or managerial position 

  • Current US H-1B visa holders often qualify for an intra-company transfer, and it can be part of their journey to become a permanent resident of Canada. 

  • Provincial Nominee Program

  • Provinces and territories in Canada can nominate immigrants to move to Canada through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). 

  • If you want to immigrate to Canada through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), you must be nominated by that Canadian province or territory.   

  • These immigrants must have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of that province or territory, and must want to live there.  

  • After the province or territory approves your application, your next step is to apply for permanent residence in the required time period.

  • 2 Options for PNP approved immigrants to apply to become permanent residents: 

  • 1. Nomination under an Express Entry PNP stream: You can begin the process by using IRCC\'s Come to Canada tool. 

  • 2. Nomination under a non-Express Entry PNP stream: Apply for permanent residence using the regular application process

  • Each province has their own selection process and conditions to get a Provincial Nominee Certificate. 

  • To have the best chance to be selected and invited to move to Canada, a Canadian immigration lawyer can help you avoid mistakes and guide you through the application process.  

  • Book a Consultation Today:

This checklist was created by evelynackah

copy saved

copies saved