How to Sponsor Your Spouse to Move to Canada

How to Sponsor Your Spouse to Move to Canada
  • Learn More: Canada Shortens Wait Times For Immigrant\'s Spouses

  • The Family Class Application (Spousal Sponsorship) is a way for a permanent resident or citizen of Canada to sponsor their spouse, common law partner or same-sex partner to immigrate to Canada. 

  • You are eligible to apply as a sponsor to a "spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (partner), or dependent children if you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada

  •  Sponsors must determine their eligibility according to federal standards, and if living in Quebec, to meet the specific Quebec conditions.

  • To be a sponsor you must be 18 or older.

  • You must then apply to serve as a sponsor.

  • This is a two-stage process that begins with your application to the Case Processing Center. 

  • Your spouse or partner must also submit an application for permanent residence.

  • The IRCC application packages for spouses in Canada:

  • The IRCC application packages for spouses outside of Canada:

  • Things To Know

  • As of December 2014, the Canadian government has decided that any eligible spouses or partners in Canada who are applying through sponsorship of their spouse are permitted to work while they wait for the processing to be completed. 

  • The IRCC issues "open work permits" to those who have applied for permanent residency from within Canadian borders.

  • Immigration law can be complex and challenging. Immigration applications can be refused due to minor oversights and omissions that can delay or negatively impact your family reunifications plans.

  • Contact Ackah Business Immigration Law for help with your Spousal Sponsorship application: 

This checklist was created by evelynackah

copy saved

copies saved